Blackmore Farm House

This is a Grade II listed, late 1700s timber frame and plastered house with an earlier core

The Farm house today
Ken Porter
Aerial view of Farm taken in 1961
Aerial view of farm in 1984

Blackmore (Bungs) Farm House is a Grade II listed, late 1700s timber frame and plastered house with an earlier core.

It was the first farm that the ‘French’ family had in the area. Robert John French was the occupier of the farm according to the 1881 census.

There were several more tenants until John Linahan purchased the farm for his son Eric and for the next twenty years it was run as a Dairy farm with a few pigs and poultry.

The family ceased farming in the early 1970s. Farm land was either sold off or rented out to others. Trevor, John’s Grandson and his wife now own the farm house which they have renovated and extended to a high standard

Comments about this page

Add your own comment

  • Can anyone recall a farmer some where in this area pulling down an electricity pylon on his land as a protest against them being put up across the fields?

    By Gloria Sewell (11/06/2011)
  • It may be difficult to imagine it now, but the stretch of Noak Hill Road that runs past Blackmore Farm and White Post Farm in the other article once appeared much less “open”. The road between the Kennel Lane Roundabout and the junction of Mill Lane at Great Burstead remains undeveloped, as it still does now. except that it was, in the past, lined by a hedgerow throughout. The picture in the article on the Old Fortune of War looking out through the open door and up an undeveloped Noak Hill Road gives an idea of what one was once common on country roads until the vandals got to work and destroyed these ancient field boundries. 

    In the severe winter of 1947 when the hedges still existed, following a blizzard practically every road in Essex was impassable including the A127. In trying to cycle home from Raleigh, I travelled by train to Billericay thence via Noak Hill Road destined for Laindon. Billericay High Street and Laindon Road, Billericay were reasonably free from snow protected first by building then by the roadside hedges. In Noak Hill Road, however, once past White Post there were occasional breaks in the hedges which had allowed snow to create 5 or 6 feet high drifts across the road and progress consisted of a series of short rides followed by a wading through each breast high snowdrift. What was normally a ten-minute ride down hill to the Old Fortune seemed to take forever.

    By John Bathurst (09/06/2011)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+