(1 of 2) The first journey through our community
The Journey starts from Laindon Common and has so far reached the start of the main section of Laindon High Road
Our journey starts at the northern end of our district at Laindon Common. This is on the north side of Laindon Common Road off Noak Hill Road.
The northern tip of the old Parish of Laindon stretched as a finger along Noak Hill Road to just past Frith Farm. The road is believed to be named after William ate Noak who lived in Noak (Noke) Bridge Farm around 1319. During the fifteenth century the road for a time was known as North Street. Presumably because it lay north of the hamlet that was situated at the junction of the road with Wash Road, Dunton Road and the Laindon High Road.
This formed the northern most settlement of the parish.
On the opposite side of Laindon Common road to the common is the Dukes Head.
As we turn towards the junction with Noak Hill Road we pass Frith Farm, of which there will be more later, on the north side of the road.
As we approach the junction we see a Victorian post box
We now join Noak Hill Road and start our journey south
As we join Noak Hill Road the first notable building we come across on the west side is the old White House Farm house
The second landmark we see is Blackmore (Bungs) Farm House on the west side of the road.
As we continue our way south we come to Great Burstead parish church ‘St Mary Magdalene’ across the field to our left. This is accessed from the junction at the top of Noak Hill.
We now proceed down Noak Hill
As we travel down Noak Hill we have this general view looking towards St Agnes Road
From the bottom of the hill it is a short distance to The Old Fortune of War. This was one of the settlements forming the parish of Laindon.
We now turn right and then take the left fork at the junction with Dunton Road to continue our journey towards the New Fortune, just deviating to take a look at the Blacksmiths
Turning back into the High Road just a few yards down on the east side of the road we come across a Milestone. There is another on our route but we will come to that later. The first map of our route showing mileage was drawn up by John Ogilby in 1683. We also know that in 1823 coaches were running from the Bell, Horndon on the Hill along our route to the Crown Inn, Billericay. Arthur Young in 1767 makes reference to the road being “twenty one years in a turnpike, but is now free”. So it would appear that this stone was laid any time between 1683 and 1823. Milestones are rapidly disappearing so we are pretty fortunate to have two on our route. There are only approximately 130 left in Essex.
We now travel on to the New Fortune of War
The stretch of road from the Old Fortune of War to the A127 is now known as High Road North. Prior to the building of the A127 it linked up with the High Road on the southern side.
To reach the New Fortune of War we need to make an excursion across the roundabout and our first links to the past are the buildings known as the Spires
We now reach the New Fortune of War at the junction with the A127, but if we look to the east (left) we see:
No Fortune of War
We look to the west and see McDonald’s
As we look across the A127 we see Laindon High Rd and our continuing journey
On the west side of the junction we see the Fortune Service Station, a modern establishment, but with a lot of historical connections with Laindon
To continue our journey we have to retrace our journey to the roundabout and turn right to cross the A127 by a new bridge.
1 of 17