Heathcote was a two-storey house, probably built by Harry Foulger as described in the publication ‘Lovely Laindon’. This leaflet, published around 1907, describes how Mr Foulger began his land development in 1897 and within 10 years had established several estates with more than 120 houses.
The 1911 Census shows Sarah and Richard Guy (both retired) living at Heathcote, Station Estate, Laindon with their son aged 28, a costume manufacturer. Also in residence was another son called Albert, a draper aged 22, with his wife Dorothy and their son Cecil aged 2 years. The family had been born in Cornwall.
The 1918 Electoral Register shows that Heathcote was occupied by Thomas and Florence Maycock.
The 1929 Electoral Register shows the resident of Heathcote had a famous namesake:- William Shakespeare. His wife was called Madeline.
The following advertisement appeared in the 12th, 19th and 26th July issues of the 1946 Essex Chronical:-
31st July 1946. Preliminary Notice. With Vacant Possession, on completion of the purchase the freehold detached residence known as “Heathcote”, Douglas Road, Laindon, Essex.
A brick-built property standing on eight plots, enjoying a frontage of some 154ft and containing 3 bedrooms, 3 reception rooms, dining room, kitchen, scullery etc. Outside bathroom. Two greenhouses, one fitted Horseshoe boiler, electricity, gas, Company’s water, cesspool drainage, large garden.
The remaining household furniture, bedroom suites, dining chairs, tables, carpet, lino and curtains, refrigerator etc. Also motor mower. Catalogue now in preparation.
Also available, building land adjoining. To be offered in three Lots, having frontages of 115ft., 140ft., and 160ft respectively. The above will be offered for sale by public auction on the premises. Particulars and conditions of sale when ready, from the Auctioneers or the Solicitor: A. W Coleman, 7 High Road, Laindon.
The 1949 Electoral Register names Leonard and Mabel Cole in residence in Heathcote.
The 1949 Survey Map shown below, gives No. 313 as Heathcote with the description:- ‘Brick and slate, 2 storey, 6 – 7 rooms, poor condition. Plot cared for and cultivated. No. 312 is the field alongside described as:- Timber and corrugated iron huts, more or less derelict, market garden! Description of plot – neglected’.
The 1953 Electoral Register show the dwellings and families in Douglas Road were as follows:-
Grantham – Louisa and Edward Murphy. Eureka – Rose and Frederick Geall plus Joyce and Frank Smart. Mayview – Matilda and Francis Steel. Heathcote – Mabel and Leonard Cole. Belle Vue – Lily Hicks. The Haven – Margaret and Arthur Morrish. Malmesmead – Harriet and Henry Bartley plus Jane Harris. Porthpean – Emma and Albert Mace. Hillcrest – Jane Grindle. St Johns – Thomas Wilcox. St Marys – Harriet Freeman plus Frank Rous and Frank C Rous.
The 1954 telephone directory shows Leonard C Cole, Heathcote, Douglas Road, Laindon:- Telephone: Laindon 65
The 1957 Electoral Register shows the dwellings and families in Douglas Road were as follows:-
Grantham – Louisa and Edward Murphy plus Jessie and Terence Murphy. Eureka – Rose and Frederick Geall. Valencia – Ivy and William Cockerell. Belle Vue – Lily Hicks. The Haven – Arthur and Margaret Morrish. Malmesmead – Harriet and Henry Bartley. Porthpean – Emma and Albert Mace. Hillcrest – Jane Grindle and Geogina Peall. St Johns – Thomas Wilcox. St Marys – Joan Turner.
Heathcote isn’t listed on this register, an indication that the house was unoccupied at that time and very close to the end of its life prior to re-development of the area.