Peter Hayden, born 1942, now lives in Nottingham but he grew up in Laindon.
In 1929 his father Sydney (Syd), of ‘Clovelly’ Tattenham Road, who had worked for AMA Builders, helped to build the Laindon Picture Theatre in Laindon High Road on the corner of New Century Road, which later became known as ‘The Radion’. Syd was the son of an Essex blacksmith and had lived in Laindon since 1925.
Before the last war Syd had also built the shops in the Broadway, Laindon, near King Edward Terrace. He lived at No. 1 The Broadway where his wife Dorothy Hayden (née Kent) ran a drapers business. They moved from there during the war years and throughout the fifties lived at 74 High Road, next to the Memorial Hall between Aston Road and Somerset Road. From here they ran a business called D. Kent & Co. Syd also built houses in Vowler Road and Emanuel Road in the early sixties.
Syd was Chairman of the Chamber of Commerce, Chairman of the Resident’s Protection Association, Honorary Secretary of the ‘Laindon Bicycle Polo Club’, Vice-president of Laindon Athletic Club and a member of The Revellers’ Concert Party. He was also active in local politics.
Peter married Maureen Salt in 1968. Maureen’s grandfather, Sidney T Salt, owned a shoe mending business in Laindon High Road, next to Cottis the bakers. Maureen’s father, Sidney W Salt and his brother Stanley A Salt, worked with their father until the early fifties when Sidney W started at Rotary Hoes in West Horndon. Sadly Sidney W died in 2000.
Many people are sure to remember passing by Sid Salt’s little shop on the way to Laindon Station – S. T. Salt & Sons.
Sidney Thomas Salt 1891 to 1976.