Berry Boys Club was started in 1946 by Fred Nunn of Berry Lane and is now the longest established boxing/football club in the area.
A ‘Wild West’ event to promote ‘Boys Club Week” took place on Saturday 31st October 1959. A quote from the Times & Recorder:
The Berry Boys Club ‘Wagon Train’ lurched into the darkest depths of Laindon on Saturday in aid of the National Association of Boys’ Clubs week. Prompt to the minute the wagon rolled to a halt near the Laindon Hotel, journeyed as far as the Winston Club and returned back down the High Road. Outriders dressed as Cowboys and Indians accompanied the wagon which was led by the “Marshall of Laindon”, Mr Fred Nunn”. Mingling with the crowd and carrying their collection boxes were members of the boys’ club and some of the attractive young ladies from the girls’ club. Young people from other parts of the district rode horses in front and behind the procession.
The Boxing Club had previously been based in various places in the area, including the Mission Hall in Langdon Hills, a building in Laindon High Road between the Post Office and Primrose Café, and from around 1969 a hall in Northumberland Road, Laindon.
Fred Nunn died in November 1961 aged just 56. A sad loss indeed, but the successful continuation of the club is a fitting tribute to a great man. Today the club is located in Valance Way, Langdon Hills.