What happened to the fine plaster inn sign of the Crown Hotel, Langdon Hills which bore the date 1874? It was about two feet in diameter and displayed beautiful workmanship in the scarlet and gold of the royal regalia.
The Crown Inn is recorded in the Essex registers of 1770, when the surrounding property and land belonged to the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul’s Cathedral. The Inn during the Napoleon scare of invasion was at its height in the late 1790s and early 1800s it was going to serve as a look outpost for the invading French troops. The current building dates from around 1865.
The Crown sign went missing when the Harvester chain took over. The current owners, Steakhouse chain Miller & Carter who in fact own the Harvester chain as well, have promised to put up a plaque on the site saying “This is the Miller & Carter at the Crown”. It’s a pity the sign itself could not be reinstated.
Inn signs have been around since 1540 when each innkeeper was ordered to hang out a sign or forfeit his livelihood.