There have been various mentions on this website of the V2 rocket that fell in Vowler Road in 1944. The following information in italics was kindly supplied by archivist Denise Rowling:-
The “bomb” that fell was described as a “wasp”, this is the V2. The V1 was described as a “fly” before they knew what they were or gained the name “doodlebug”.
Date:- 13.11.44. Time – 22.22. Reported – 23.38. Location – Vowler Road, Langdon Hills. MR 123066. Causative – WASP.
Details of Damage:- Many casualties and widespread damage to properties. 5 Houses completely demolished, 6 seriously damaged, approx. 250 slightly damaged. Damage to overhead electric cables and telephones. Size of crater 38ft x 20ft.
Casualties:- Killed – 1 woman. Seriously Injured – 6 women, 1 man, 1 child. Slightly Injured – 15 women, 13 men, 6 children.
Action Taken:- Mobile unit with Dr Campbell, Rescue Parties, Ambulances and SC cars attended. IC appointed (in charge). Trapped people released. Casualties sent to hospital or FA Posts. Rest Centre opened in Senior School Laindon. Military assisted with searchlights. Tea car and Mobile Canteen manned WVS. Clerk and Public Utilities Services notified. Homeless persons accommodated, FA repair effected. Other services on spot: Warden, Police, Fire, Messengers.
The 1949 survey map for Vowler Road shows two new properties in the space where the rocket had fallen, named as Trivoli, Bolton or Ordeander (Plot Nos. 119 and 120 on the map. Plot 118 is described as Waste Land).
Next door was the bungalow called ‘Hewfy’ (plot No. 121 on the map), where two women lived, apparently both school teachers. (The 1929 Electoral Register names them as Edith Fyffe and Beatrice Hewett). One of the women, Edith Fyffe was injured during the V2 incident and died the following day in Billericay Hospital.
The 1953 Electoral Register shows Beatrice Hewett was still living there but it seems this bungalow was at some point re-named ‘Ringwood’
The 1955 Electoral Register shows Ada & Edward Marchant living in Ordeander. Muriel and Henry Cordwell living in ‘Lynton’ and Rose and Francis Blackford plus Alice Bonnett living in ‘Ringwood’.
The bungalow called ‘Shelagh’ that was situated in Berry Lane, north of ‘Hewfy’ is shown as Plot No. 96 on the map and was occupied by Grace and Ivan Emson.
Details of the names of other properties destroyed or damaged and those injured are not known at present. Any information in this connection would be very much appreciated.
Editor: Click on the maps below to enlarge the images.