Helen Calver’s grandparents (Evan and Emily Jones) lived in a bungalow called ‘Alberta’ in Gladstone Road, Langdon Hills. The date of the photograph is unknown, but they were in residence at the time of the 1949 Electoral Register.
Helen remembers her dad taking her there once when she was very young, but there wasn’t much of it remaining. Over time, she had forgotten the exactly location. Gladstone Road is now part of Mark’s Hill Nature Reserve.
The second photograph, taken in High Road, Langdon Hills, shows Helen’s Grandfather with his bicycle at the right side of the picture. The second shop to his left was Tudor Stores. The small shop in the middle of the picture was Baldwin’s ironmongers. Further to the left were Cottis’s and Grays Co-op on the corner of Osborne Road. The road on the left of the picture in front of the gas street light is Vowler Road.
Unfortunately the quality of the two pictures is quite poor, however they do give an idea of how the bungalow had once looked.