Early last century, the original Manor Hall, owned by the Smallholders’ Association, stood on the south side of Worthing Road, facing Laindon High Road. From 1902 the hall was rented by Christian non-conformists to hold Services and Sunday School. There were close links with a similar fellowship at the Nightingale Mission in Langdon Hills and from 1918 to 1919 both groups met away from the Manor Hall. In 1924 a committee was formed and an independent but un-denominational church was established in Manor Hall. They decided they needed their own premises and in 1925 were offered a plot of land in Manor Road. On April 3rd 1926 the newly built Manor Mission Church was opened and in 1930 the Primary Hall was built.
This photo taken in 1924 shows an outing from the Manor Hall, about to depart in two vehicles. One can’t help but wonder in fascination, who were all those people and where they were heading for their day out.
Editor: Click on the image to enlarge.