Vivienne Salmon (nèe Bragg) kindly provided some photographs of her Grandparent’s bungalow in Sandringham Road, where her mother Hilda grew up.
William and Nellie Harber bought the bungalow in 1930 and called it ‘Pretoria’. Its name was etched into the glass above the front door.
Pretoria was situated on the east side of Sandringham Road, just a couple of plots from the junction with Rutland Road to the south and about three plots from Essex Road to the north. The back gardens of Sandringham Road backed on to Basil Drive (see map). Pretoria is Plot No. 212 on the map. (Click on map to enlarge the image.)
The 1949 survey describes the building made of brick with asbestos tiles and consisting of three rooms. Its condition was described as ‘good’ and its plot ‘tidy’.
Hilda Bragg (nèe Harber) wrote of her memories of the war years and these are available to read by clicking the following link:- Click here.