Basildon Road used to stretch from behind St Nicholas Church eastward as far as Pipps Hill Road. There were many dwellings and a shop or two along the way. Uppermayne was built south to north, straight across it, cutting it almost in half and the eastern side became the No 2 Industrial Estate. Basildon Road to the west of Uppermayne is now the only part of the road that remains.
With the aid of the 1949 Survey and a few old photographs, we can recall how the road had looked pre the 1960s. There were bungalows but also some very large, well built substantial houses, a feature of which appears to have been a double pitched roof.
Listed below are some of the names of dwellings as recorded on the 1949 Survey and Electoral Register. Aroma, Lyndhurst, Raymondville, Mendora, Orchard View, Westbury, Uplands, June, Ellesmere, Longleat, Lansdowen, Basilcroft, Petit-Fleur, Margareta, Lillie Dene, Lynton, The Limes, Hollybank, Rosedale, Beecroft, The Ferns, St. Petres, Laindon Park Post Office, St. Paul, Rose House Farm, Elm Farm House, Alpha, Beta, Sunnypatch, Miraflores, St. Stephens, Hawthorns, Shangri-La, Merion, Springfield, Tanglewood, Woodberry, Burnside, Corinth, Sunnycroft, Endymion, Hunts Farm, Forest Lodge, Cleeve Cottage, Redcliffe, Totnes, Homester, Lauramay, Aberdour, Clydeville, Killarney, The Burrs, Clovelly, Swanscombe, St. Aybyns, Ingleside, St. Olaves, Woodville, Abergavenny, The Lawns, The Hermitage, Chase Side, Glenthorne, Ivedene, Pekewood, Hazeldene, Sherwood, Cranbrook, Woodbine, Holmwood, Trossacks, Whitemay, Essex Country Club, Homeland, Aureate, Beltona and School House.
Most of the remaining part of Basildon Road now consists of new builds; however on a recent visit we noticed that two original bungalows still remain – Mendora and June.
Please click on the pictures to enlarge.